SC00725 - AP Physics I 03165
E-learning Center courses are provided tuition-free to S.D. public schools. This course is created and delivered by a South Dakota certified teacher.
This is a college-prep physics course with a problem-solving component. It introduces students to the principles and methods of physics and shows them how these principles are applied in order to explain the phenomena of the physical world. The inquiry-based laboratory experiences and demonstrations will give the students insight into how experimentation leads to the discovery of new scientific principles. Cooperative attitudes will be nurtured through the use of group activities. In addition to the knowledge base developed in physics, use of computer technologies are integrated throughout the entire course. The use of these technologies are intended to impart the following specific skills: ability to use a Web browser to access online information; ability to use bulletin boards; ability to download files; ability to use software packages for data acquisition and analysis. As set forth by the College Board in the curriculum framework, this course will include the following BIG IDEAS.
• BIG IDEA 1: Objects and systems have properties such as mass and charge. Systems may have internal structure.
• BIG IDEA 2: Fields existing in space can be used to explain interactions.
• BIG IDEA 3: The interactions of an object with other objects can be described by forces.
• BIG IDEA 4: Interactions between systems can result in changes in those systems.
• BIG IDEA 5: Changes that occur as a result of interactions are constrained by conservation laws.
• BIG IDEA 6: Waves can transfer energy and momentum from one location to another without the permanent transfer of mass and serve as a mathematical model for the description of other phenomena.
Algebra I & II
Phone: (605) 626-3382